What makes an effective engineering manager
The lifecycle of an engineer begins with a rigorous undergraduate education where they are buried in technical textbooks filled with proofs and equations. Some of them go on to learn about even more advanced equations and proofs in a technical master’s degree program.
Then, they enter the real world….
Early in their careers, their technical education is paramount to ensuring they perform sound calculations and design high quality engineering solutions, however there comes a point where their technical knowledge is simply not enough.
As they progress and they start to make the leap from engineers to managers, their work requires them to: communicate more with others, build strong relationships, effectively present ideas, and lead teams; and their ability to do these things becomes critical to their success as engineering managers and the success of their firms.
“The Engineering Management Accelerator has forced me to consider not only how I can purposefully spend my own time, but also how I can empower others to do their best work. Our group challenge has given me the opportunity to be a leader among my peers and to make an impact on our company beyond my usual realm of influence.”
- Forrest Bratton, P.E., SECB, Big Red Dog Engineering | Consulting
You can build the skills you need to be a successful engineering manager
This 5-week online workshop will teach you, inspire you, push you, and connect you to peers and coaches who will help you think like an entrepreneurial engineering manager. Most importantly, you will build your confidence and realize that you have the abilities you need to create and present clear ideas that will drive positive change and growth for you personally, your firm, and your clients.
With live skill building sessions and coaching calls, customized team projects, and a forum for discussion, the workshop takes 10 – 50 hours to complete (most of which can be done outside of normal business hours). Try it risk free, as we have a 100% money back guarantee.
- Five (5) one-hour skill-building sessions on the topics of effective communication, networking/building relationships, public speaking and presentations, productivity and billability, and leadership.
- Five (5) open coaching calls to discuss the skills and strategies in the skill sessions, discuss the team projects, and to help students with whatever professional development goals they are striving towards.
- A very specific ‘engineering management’ challenge/project that each team will work on together. (Teams may consist of a group from one company who will focus on a real challenge for that company or a group of individual engineers from different firms.)
- A presentation at the culmination of the workshop. (Each team will present to our coaches and then will present their solution within their own firms.)
- 24/7 discussion board where students have access to other motivated professionals as well as engineering career coaches.
- Peer network for discussion and team learning.
- Long-term access to the materials for further learning (includes a 6 month subscription to the discussion board).
- Access on mobile and desktop.
“The Engineering Management Accelerator skill building sessions were very well prepared but also allowed for personalized advice. There were plenty of opportunities to ask questions and receive thoughtful responses.”
- Michelle S. Young, P.E., P.P., C.M.E., Maser Consulting, P.A.
Learn how to:
- Communicate more effectively with individuals and in team settings
- Build relationships that will result in better projects, more productive teams, and more business for your firm
- Present your ideas powerfully in front of an audience of any number of people
- Think creatively in an opportunistic way to help your firm and your clients grow
- Stay as productive and billable as possible while remaining valuable to your firm and customers
- Become an expert in your field, elevating you and your company
- Lead in a way that unites people towards a common goal
More customized than a book, series of webinars or a course
A real project with real people, and you presenting a solution.
Most engineering management courses offer webinars or videos that you do on your own. However, we all know that engineering managers don’t work alone.
Where the Engineering Management Accelerator is different is in the group project work. All students are put on a team and given a challenge that they have to create a solution for and present that solution to our coaches and their companies.
Our students have to show up. Period.
This has been so successful, that now; companies enroll teams of engineers and ask us to assign them a real life problem that their company is facing. Their engineers sprint, and over the five weeks they create real solutions to these problems, all while improving their engineering management skills. Pretty amazing, right?
The importance of showing up
As an engineer, there are many ways to hide. You can stay as a ‘team engineer’ forever and not take the steps towards manager. You can avoid having to do presentations. You can live with the doubt that builds up in your mind around your ability to lead. However, hiding is not going to drive growth or change, in fact it will do the opposite.
This workshop will force you to think a certain way and to present your ideas to your company, and in the process you will gain so much confidence, it will change your career and life forever.
A proven way to learn
If you want to be an engineering manager, a leader that leads projects that positively impact our world, you’ll need to develop your confidence and your management skills. This intensive workshop doesn’t require any pre-requisites, only the desire to show up and do the work in service of making change happen.
Anthony Fasano, PE has a lot of experience both as an effective engineering manager and a coach who has helped thousands of engineer become leaders. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to build the confidence and skills you need to transform into a leader that can drive massive growth.
"Participating in the Engineering Manager Accelerator Program, was highly valuable to me. Every day I review and utilize the tools and information that I received from Anthony’s lectures to help me meet my goals of performing as an Engineering Manager. It was time well spent."
- John Dumas, IPS-Integrated Project Services, LLC